Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Just know that these things will never change for us at all.

Today, my dad's side of the family gathered for the 2nd time in less than a month to bury a family member. My MawMaw lost one of her sisters right before Christmas and this week, she lost her brother. We all know they are together with their other brothers and sisters and parents in heaven now, but it hurts to say goodbye. Both of them gave of themselves so much. They loved us all and made us all feel special and unique. They loved unconditionally. Seeing my MawMaw and my last surviving great aunt cry over their losses hurts deeply. Right before the service started today, my MawMaw went say goodbye to my great uncle one last time and told him to say hello to everyone in heaven and told him that they'd all be together soon. What a comforting thought, yet so heartbreaking to hear.

I got up and read during the service. The moment I got up there and began reading, I felt this overwhelming sense of peace. I picked out the readings myself with the help of one of my dad's cousins. As we were going through scriptures deciding what I'd read, I knew exactly which one I wanted to read for the first reading. The first scripture I read was from the book of Ecclesiastes. It talked about how there is a time for everything: "A time to laugh, a time to cry. I time to mourn, a time to dance." It just seemed so fitting. It describes life, itself. The second scripture I read was taken from the book of Thessalonians. It talked about how Jesus saved us and that when we die, we will all go to heaven and be together once more. It was a reading filled with hope. And when I read it, I felt it so strongly.

In between my readings, the soloist sang a short song, but I was able to remain standing at the podium. Standing up there, looking at my family - I felt so blessed. I have been blessed with an amazing family. A family who is always loving and supportive. I also felt a little sadness at the fact that the dynamics of ours is starting to change. The elders are getting older and starting to pass on. As much as I wish they would live forever, my grandparents won't actually be around forever. But, we have now and now is to be treasured. Then, I looked at the other side of the room and saw my cousins -the ones closer to my age who I've grown up with and the younger ones. The youngest ones, Aaron & Austin (my Godson and cousin) were both grinning from ear to ear at me and I couldn't help but smile. Once I was finished reading and sat back down, they both said I did a good job. As did the rest of the family. That made me feel really good!

Days like this makes you appreciate what you have. I treasure the moments I have with my family. And I trust in the fact that whatever life brings us, like the title of this entry says: things will never change for us at all. We will always be there for one another.


Enjoy heaven, Aunt Tee and NaNonk. Thank you for loving us. We love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment